M.A. Liberal Studies
About the Programme
This programme envisages the idea of holistic and integrated learning aimed at breaking disciplinary silos between pure sciences, social sciences and humanities. The programme seeks to re-imagine learning in ways that foster intellectual curiosity, ability to raise critical questions and most important to develop a sense of social justice, equity and empathy while engaging with complex global realities. We envision graduates to participate meaningfully across industries and sectors given the interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary ethos of the programme. Diversity and inclusion would be the key components of this programme with an emphasis on critical and reflexive approaches to learning.
- To transcend disciplinary boundaries and enable interdisciplinary discourses, perspectives, methods of knowing and forms of analysis
- To interrogate binaries and dualisms that have long characterised knowledge production
- To have a dialogic and participatory approach to knowledge production
- To bring about a paradigm shift in pedagogical practices of teaching and learning so as to provide a meaningful learning environment.
- Students’ worldview to be informed by multiple perspectives drawn from different disciplines so as to produce a richer understanding of complex social realities
- To bring faith into learnings and bridge the gap the students experience between subjects and fields of studies
- To further academic possibilities and imagination with an interdisciplinary programme
- To explore untapped potential and abilities in students through multidisciplinary perspectives.
- Will equip the students with an enriching perspective that will enable them to make connections across disciplines
- Will produce well informed and socially conscious citizens with an ability to have nuanced views on varied subjects.
- Produce responsible and accountable citizens with a commitment to democratic values and constitutional principles.
- Build multiple skills thus enabling students to find placements in a broad spectrum of fields from governance and policy making, electronic visual and print media, human resource and personnel management, economy, data analytics to civil society organizations.